Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Learning English

The English language was extended for the most of countries in the last years. In this context, the learning of this language has been developed in much educational centres.

In Chile, nowadays the learning of English is put into practice since the primary school, in general as a course obligatory. Also, it exist educational centres specializing in your learning, because of the necessity of people for have English as 2nd language it has increased in our globalized system of life.

Most of jobs and the academic programs consider necessary the use of the English language. For example, the publication of an article in a scientific journal, it considers that at least the abstract should be in this language. Also, any courses of the university careers have in his programs, books, articles or other materials of study wich are in English language.

I had English courses in the school and at the University. In the university the English program it was implemented as an obligatory course, and after the test of this language, I was selected for basic level I. In this moment I am in level IV.

This experience was good for to learn specially how to read fluently , but the listening part and the oral skills are very difficult for me and I think that in these four years learning English, these elements have not improve very much. I don’t know if it is a problem with my abilities learning the language, the bad learning at school, if I need more practice or maybe would be necessary to improve the method of learning of English program at the university. Maybe, it can be a mixed of all this elements.

Without a doubt, the learning of English is very necessary in different aspects, for example in academic life or when you visit other countries. However, the preponderance of this language is too much, and this is negative if it lowers the possibility to know other languages, an interesting experience and important for keep the cultural diversity.

In my case, in this moment I have courses of English and French, and in the future I would like to learn Mapudungun.


1 comment:

  1. Well done Marcia, I'd love to follow with my French courses and of course I'd like to learn Mapudungun. I liked you reflection. However, you made some grammar mistakes and once you used a contraction and remember that in formal essays contractions are not allowed.

    ReplyDelete